Remember, you are looking for an investment professional with the heart of a teacher. Here are some sample questions you might ask when you’re deciding whether or not to work with a specific investing professional.
1. Tell me about your experience as an investment professional. How long have you done this type of work? What type of clients are you looking for?
2. What is your general investment philosophy? What do you think is best for your clients?
3. What is your outlook on customer service? If I were high maintenance, would I have access to you for questions? How often would I be able to communicate with you?
4. Have you heard of Dave Ramsey? What do you think of his approach to debt, emergency savings and investment?
5. How are you compensated?Do you have any favorite funds?
When asking your questions, explain that you are looking for a long-term relationship and you want to make sure that it is a right fit for both of you. And if there’s any aspect of investing you want to explore further, don’t limit yourself to this list! Ask as many questions as it takes to be sure you’re choosing the right person for the job.